The mission of the Eastern Shore Reading Council is to improve the level of literacy in the lower three counties (Somerset, Wicomico, and Worcester) on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. We promote quality literacy instruction by: supporting the mission of the State of Maryland International Reading Association Council and International Literacy Association, disseminating best literacy practices to educators and parents, advocating for literacy issues through legislation and collaborating with educational institutions, professional organizations and businesses.
- To promote literacy throughout the Lower Eastern Shore.
- To encourage a habit of life-long reading.
- To foster mutual understanding and cooperative work among educators in Pre-K, elementary grades, middle school, high school, college, adult education and in leadership positions.
- To provide high quality professional development by sponsoring an annual conference and other meetings.
- To promote advocacy for legislative issues with policy makers, the media and local communities.
The group is active in the Eastern Shore communities supporting literacy initiatives and individuals who have sparked a passion for reading. The group is made up primarily of K-12 educators (both current and retired) from public and private schools across Maryland’s Lower Eastern Shore as well as individuals active in the higher education community.